The Algarve - A Golfer's Paradise
The famous 16th at Vale do Lobo Royal golf course is among the most photographed in the world
1. Golf Courses: Golf in the Algarve has never been more popular, with over 30 world class golf courses offering a mix of terrain and conditions to appeal to the broadest spectrum of golfers. It was the legendary Henry Cotton who first placed the Algarve firmly on the golfing map of the world, designing the course at Penina, Portimão. The famous 16th at Vale do Lobo Royal golf course is among the most photographed in the world - a stunning par 3 over the cliffs. The East Algarve now has some excellent courses too, Quinta do Vale , Benamor, Monte Rei and Castro Marim.
2. Climate: The Algarve weather was made for golf. With over 300 days of sunshine per year and very agreeable temperatures, the chances of a golfing holiday in the Algarve being ruined by bad weather are slim. Spring and autumn are the best seasons for golf. Temperatures range from 15 – 20ºC with plenty of sunshine. Winters are generally mild, the average temperature around 15ºC.
3. Accommodation: the choice of accommodation in the Algarve is vast. Opt for 5 star luxury golfing resorts with golf courses on the doorstep such as the As Cascatas resort or enjoy exclusive use of a boutique hotel . Renting a villa is an increasingly popular option, combing comfort and privacy in one package.
4. Restaurants and Nightlife: A hard day’s golfing deserves the reward of some excellent food. The Algarve is home to a huge number of restaurants from those boasting Michelin Stars to humble local “tascas” and everything in between – sushi restaurants, steak houses, seafood , Indian, traditional Portuguese and gourmet. The lively nightlife provides something for most tastes too – sports bars, chic lounge bars, beach clubs and nightclubs.
5. Because it’s easy: There are several low cost airlines offering routes into Faro airport. The flight time is under 3 hours from most bigger Europen airports. Once landed at Faro, pretty much any location on the coast is under an hour away. There are excellent car hire deals as well as transfer services available, all bookable online before you travel. English is widely (and well) spoken, and so is German and Spanish.